Pages

Thursday 2 March 2017

Haircuts and Happy Hearts

There's a beautiful post going viral today about a little boy who decided to get a haircut the same as his friend's so that their teacher wouldn't be able to tell them apart!

Below is a picture of the two boys.

Photo of two little boys - one white and one black with matching haircuts
The Adorable Jax And Reddy!
You don't need me to point out that they're not exactly identical!

This post from today reminded me of a post I put on my facebook page last week.  The text of that post is below:

"Yesterday evening I went to pick the kids up from after school care. When I arrived all the kids were gathered in a semi-circle watching a bit of television. They all had their hats on, with their backs to the door and one was pretty much indiscernible from the other.

I noticed two little boys just off to the left, immediately in front of me. I noticed them because the bigger of the two had his arm wrapped around the other little boy's shoulders and then he gave a gentle rub on the tiny guy's back followed by a squeeze.

The tiny guy turned and gave his friend a smile that said, "thank you."

The bigger boy turned and smiled back, his smile saying, "it's ok, I'm here for you."

And my heart nearly blew right out of my chest with such a surge of motherly love and pride because
the bigger boy was my son."

What I didn't mention in that post is that my son is as pale as the freshly fallen snow on the mountains in Ireland in winter time and his little friend is as dark skinned as the sky on a moonless African night.

But neither of them see the colour of each other's skin. They see each other's smiles and they laugh and play and they see when the other is a little sad and needs a bit of support.  

They are gloriously free of prejudice and hatred and just like Jax and Reddy their little hearts beat stronger and their souls shine brighter because of it.

I accompanied my facebook post with the hashtag #justmightbedoingsomethingright and yeah - I just might be and my heart is that bit happier today to see Jax and Reddy's beautiful story.  It shines like a beacon through all the darkness of recent months when so many headlines have been dominated by hate speak.

I wholeheartedly agree with Jax's mum when she says, "If this isn’t proof that hate and prejudice is something that is taught I don’t know what is.”

Photo of two little boys - one white the other black with matching haircuts and matching smiles
Matching Haircuts And Smiles!




No comments:

Post a Comment