Pages

Tuesday 2 August 2016

Seek And You Shall Find!

It was free dress day today at the school which meant the kids got to wear anything they wanted and not their uniforms.

"I want to wear my Super tee-shirt and my blue shorts with the white stripe down the side," the Dude announced at approximately thirteen minutes past eight.

The Super Tee-shirt!

The Super tee-shirt was lying proudly on my bed and I felt somewhat smug at being one step ahead of the Dude. My smugness was short-lived though as I realised I had no clue as to where the shorts might be. I spent the next five minutes trying to convince the Dude to wear his Avengers tee-shirt and a cool, camouflage type pair of shorts. I thought I had succeeded and congratulated myself on my powers of persuasion as we made our way upstairs for what I hoped was going to be a quick breakfast. I was just putting the finishing touches to the lunches when I noticed the Dude sneaking, ninja-like, down the stairs.

"Where are you going?" I enquired, "and what are you doing?"

"Nothing!" came the reply.

"Will I come and help you?" I asked, which was code for - "you'd better not be down there looking for those damned shorts with the stripe at 8:20 am when you haven't even had breakfast yet!"

The Dude understood my code perfectly.

"Nooooo!" he commmanded, "you do NOT come down the stairs."

I went down the stairs.

I found him him in the laundry.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I told you not to come down here!" he announced.

"Well I'm here now," I informed him, "so you may as well tell me what you're up to."

He grimaced.

"I'm looking for the shorts," he admitted, the frustration at his interfering mother oozing from every pore.
I looked at him and I looked at the Everest-like pile of laundry and I looked back at him again.

"Really?" I asked, "you really want to tackle that."


The "Other" Everest!

"Not really," he snorted, "but what choice do I have? They have to be in there somewhere!"

I should state here that our laundry room is known as the room of no return, as in, items of clothing go in there and never come back out. It's actually possible a small child went in there once on a playdate and is still in there...

The Door To The Room
Of No Return

I fixed my steely gaze on the Dude and announced, "you do realise it's nearly twenty-five minutes past eight?"

"Is that a rhetorical question?" he sneered.

I turned on my heel.

"Be upstairs in two minutes, " I warned him, "do NOT make me come and get you."

Approximately two minutes later a very smug eight year old boy waltzed past me sporting the biggest, dirtiest grin you've ever seen. Thirty seconds later he presented himself to me in the kitchen, "ta-dah!" he announced and flung his hands in the air before twirling and walking off.

I was gobsmacked! As long as I live, I will never know how he found those shorts in under two minutes.

He has kept this seek and find talent well hidden up to now but the next time he wails, "mum, I can't find..." I'll be ready! He he he... I'm off to practice my evil smirk :-)

The Absolute Must Have Shorts!







No comments:

Post a Comment